Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Last Semester's Experience

My first semester in iQuest started off a little bit rocky because it took longer than expected for me to find a mentor. I had almost given up hope when Mrs. Sekera finally got the call that Dr. Dowd would be happy to mentor me. Once that was settled, the rest of the semester flew by with ease.

I got to experience a lot of great and interesting things at the clinic in such a short time. I feel like I have pretty much seen it all and now feel prepared on what there is to come if I keep going to become a Veterinarian. Not only had the clinic prepared me, but they also gave me an oppurtunity to make money and spend more time there by hiring me as their kennel assistant.

Since I spend so much time there, I am having second thoughts about being a Veterinarian only because I now like the idea of becoming a Veterinary Technician more, but I have always been in between both careers. I haven't officially decided so I still plan to transfer to UC Davis and major in animal biology after I am done with DVC.

The only real bad experience I had at the clinic was when I had randomly fainted while watching the techs wrap up a dog's broken leg (no blood at all).. Since I had already experienced surgery prior to my "fall", I am convinced that it was simply dehydration that was the cause of me fainting.

My first semester was amazing and I plan on having an even better second semester because I don't plan on fainting again.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Caitlin! My name is Melanie Eiges and I am enrolled in iQuest at Cal High. Your proect sounds like a lot of fun! It is really cool that you have a vision of seeing yourself as a vet technician, even though you went in under the impression that you wanted to be a vet! Have a great second semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Cal High student and currently in iQuest at Cal High. It's great that you got hired as a kennel assistant, that's a win, win. You get to do what you like and have an opportunity to make money. I like how you were open to becoming a veterinarian technician, even though you may still want to be a vet. Good luck on your iQuest project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I'm an iQuest student at Cal High. I think it's really smart that you are considering becoming a vet technician as well! Have fun second semester, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an iQuest student at Cal High and I am also doing a Vet internship. I think that is really awesome that you get paid because i don't! I also agree with you and I would want to be a Vet tech too. It doesn't make as much money, but I think it would be more fun. Good luck on your journey and I might see you at Davis in the future!

    ReplyDelete