Monday, January 21, 2013

James Herriot's Dog Stories


 
 
Instead of reading James Herriot's book called All Creatures Great and Small I changed it to another one of his books called Dog Stories. All Creatures Great and Small was mostly about farm animals and I would much rather read about dogs. In the picture above I am 'reading' the book to one of my dogs, Lucy (the black one) and my current foster puppy, Bambi (the tan/white one).
 
Dog Stories is all about the different dog related cases that James Herriot experienced during his time as a Veterinarian. Each chapter is a different story, though some include the same animal but a different occasion. The stories ranged from simple check ups to serious injuries and some even ending in the animal being put to sleep.
 
My favorite part of the book was reading a particular story about a dog named Joshua. Joshua was run over by a tractor and though he had no internal injuries, he was lifeless. The accident had put the dog into such a shock that he had completely withdrawn. Though he was starting to walk and eat a little bit, he never barked like he always had before the accident. All of sudden one night, the families car was stolen. That same night was the first time the family had heard Joshua bark since the accident. This gave the family a new hope and they all knew he was going to recover back into his old self in no time. It was my favorite story because I got to read about how much this family loved their dog and how excited they were about their car getting stolen becasue it lead to Joshua barking. It was the happy ending that I hope to experience as a Veterinarian one day.
 
This book relates to my iQuest project because it is about a Veterianarian and his different adventures he experienced while taking care of animals. Because I work at the clinic, I have actually experienced a lot of the things that Herriot writes about in his book. This made it even more interesting to read because I am able to compare both our experiences. I also got to compare him and Dr. Dowd since I've watched her deal with the same things that he did. It was also cool to read about how much veterinary medicine and the qualifications it takes to become a veteranarian has changed since 1940 (the year Herriot started as a veterinary surgeon).
 
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves dogs. You don't really need to be interested in veterinary medicine to enjoy this book, but you do need to like reading all about dogs.
 
Even though I really hate reading, I really enjoyed this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment